Saturday, July 3, 2010

Things that disappear. Like yesterday's post.

It's Saturday and I know that you have been waiting on a new post since Thursday.  Sorry about that. I wrote a post and it did not publish.  I didn't save it either.  See, right there is a tech blunder and a lesson on why it is important to save your work as you go.  Shit happens.  I will try to remember as much as I can about what I wrote and put it in the bottom of this post.  It was about GPS Navigation.


The July 4th weekend festivities have kept me busy (the partying also) but I had a lot of things to fix. My phone was one of them. My beloved HTC HD2 was being such a bitch to me I spent the entire afternoon not being able to call people, especially when I had a minor emergency in my car.  You should have saw me. 


The phone's touch features (which I suspect that it is run by the HTC Sense mechanism that is built into the phone) would not respond. I was unable to call anyone.  It continued to not respond even after a hard reset (me pulling out the battery and resetting it.) If this continues, I will have to pay a visit to our lovely friends at T-Mobile. Speaking of  T-Mobile, aren't they in trouble?  I am hearing rumors that T-Mobile may not be with us for much longer, especially if they cannot get a buyer for the company.

President Obama has ordered that everyone gets broadband internet.  Its no longer just for people who have very expensive cable packages (or just steal the neighbors unlocked wireless signal.) Most Americans already have access to the internet by these methods (and the public library should be added to the list) but only about 2/3 of us have access to it from home.  This law wants to increase that number.   According to the memorandum, FCC is “to make available a total of 500 MHz of Federal and non-federal spectrum over the next 10 years, suitable for both mobile and fixed wireless broadband use.”  I don't see the harm.  There are already more televisions than people in the US so having the internet available is just one more avenue for us to sit on our butts.  More options are wonderful.



So this means you get the internet and you get the internet, everyone gets the internet.



Yesterday I wanted to post something about an awesome invention call the GPS navigation system.  The purpose is to keep us from getting lost.  Many of us have relied on Mapquest for many years in which I will be honest with you is wrong about 30% of the time.  I used mapquest to take to the old Giant's Stadium one time and the directions bought me there, but it sent me to the back of the stadium in which the road was a dead end. I was about half a mile away from the entrance I was supposed to be at although I put the directions to the entrance on the search.  Those directions haven't been updated in years for that place.  Good thing it was not in the middle of the night when I got lost.  You may have never seen me again.  Well anyway, the GPS has kept most of us from being lost in the wilderness. What happens when the GPS gets confused during the middle of your trip?  What I mean is that when you are driving, your navigation system wants to recalculate.  A good friend of mine experienced this a few times while driving around Manhattan.  I swear signals have a hate affair with the city.  If you are not familiar with the street layout of the city of Manhattan especially when you leave the numbered streets, you are screwed.  Sure you can always ask for directions from your friendly homeless man (you may have to give him a dollar) but most of us have become spoiled by our little tech backseat driver.  The best way to deal with a confused navigation system is to not toss it out the window (you overpaid for that!) No the best way is to stop and ask somebody.  Navigation systems in general are great and reliable but on occasion, like all electronics (especially phones) will let you down and you have to rely on the old school way of doing things.  In my case with the phone yesterday I just screamed for help.  A screaming chick always get attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment